Sunday, 1 April 2012

What the weather giveth - it taketh away!

Spring is definitely in the air.  Sunshine and blue skies mean it's the time of year when I can once again hang washing outside without risk of it being frozen solid by the time I bring it inside.

There's something very comforting in seeing bedding and bits billowing in the wind on a nice sunny day.



After the record breaking temperatures of the past week (23 degrees) see below the latest weather forecast for the UK.   Business as usual then.....

Weather warning - Sunday, 1 April

YELLOW WARNING for SNOW
Rain will turn to snow as it moves south across Scotland through Monday and into Monday night, giving accumulations of 5-10 cm on hills with 2 to 5 cm at lower levels inland.

As the snow clears south into NE England during Tuesday morning, roads are likely to turn icy.

The public are advised to be aware of the risk of disruption to transport.

Valid from 1200 Monday until 0600 Tuesday.

Were you caught out by any April Fool spoofs today?   I heard it reported on the news on Radio 4 this morning that there are plans to insist that  pensioners take regular exercise otherwise their pensions will be stopped.   A bit lame but the only one that got my attention today.

10 comments:

  1. Hello Isobel:
    How wonderful your whiter than white washing looks against that azure blue sky. There is really nothing better than the smell of clothes that have been hung out to dry outdoors. A friend of ours planted a row of Lavender underneath her washing line and that was incredibly effective at creating scented sheets!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no!! I thought this weather forecast must be an April fool's joke, but apparently it's true - after that lovely summery weather last week! Seems we timed our exit from Britain just right. I feel bad for mentioning that we're having lovely sunny weather in South Africa!
    Fantastic pic of the white sheets against the sky - I can smell and feel that moment. And your lovely roses clearly think it's spring - what is it with this crazy weather?

    ReplyDelete
  3. you know I returned from a lovely sunny Easter weekend on Lake Como the other day, and when we emerged from the Gotthard tunnel it was like a winter wonderland, snow everywhere! Nuts. Stella keeps saying "mommy, it's winter again" :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your comment on my little travelogue.

    I remember seeing the snowy weather reports from Scotland while I was over in London just needing a sweater (jumper) for protection from gentle breezes.

    You are very kind with the tips re Glasgow. Let me tell you that I did stay in Edinburgh on my so far only visit to Scotland (taking the train up from Yorkshire...what a beautiful journey.)

    I stayed in the Old Town, and did have one memorable visit, via train, to Glasgow, to walk the Macintosh pathway and also see the incredible Whistler works at the Hunterian Gallery. I walked all the way out to the University and back and still remember the beauty I saw. It would be grand to return.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. that news story is crazy cakes! and did it really snow?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bella, thank you for your comment. Yes, my little jade money plant might have had a role in that tax refund check! I also smiled when I opened that envelope.

    And...the plant still seems to be thriving! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Soooooo chic! Check my blog sweetie and tell me if you wanna follow each others blog! Kisses

    FashionSpot.ro

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have to reply because the reg. box is not appearing. thank you so much for the congrats and i hope you are doing well!

      Delete
  8. Hi, Bella,
    I noticed your comment on Karen's blog and had to see where you were coming from. ;-)
    Can't wait to see more of your beautiful Scotland,
    cheers from Vienna,
    Merisi

    ReplyDelete
  9. my dear! i'm so sorry that you had an awful week!!! i hope you are recharged after this w/e? smile!!

    ReplyDelete