Sunday, 25 March 2012

Venus, Jupiter and the crest of the Moon

After a warm, dry and sunny Sunday - when closing all my windows around 8.30 pm, which had been thrown open to enjoy the exceptionally warm weather - I caught sight of this:


isn't it amazing?  I don't  know my stars and planets but I believe these are Venus and Jupiter - which I have been enjoying for the past couple of weeks due to clear skies, and tonight they have been joined by the crest of the moon.  Fantastic!  Have you been watching?

3 comments:

  1. Hello Isobel:
    We alas have no knowledge of the stars and their position in the sky but do agree that this is a wonderful photograph and how splendid that you have captured the image almost by chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. how funny is that - I only had my computer on to look up what the extraordinary planets in the sky tonight - they were paired up with the moon - amazing. Yes they are venus (higher) and jupiter (lower), if you look almost 180 round from them you can see Mars - slightly red even with naked eye, and between mars and jupiter/venus you can just make out Saturn I think a bit lower in the sky (if I read this correctly... astronomycentral.co.uk/planets-to-see-in-the-sky-tonight
    a really beautiful evening, like summer! Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! The night sky has been especially beautiful the last couple of nights. What an amazing sight!

    ReplyDelete