Friday, 6 January 2012

Down by the riverside

I returned to work yesterday after a 2 week break.  I was ready to go back.  Much as I enjoy time off work - I am someone who needs structure and routine otherwise I can allow one hour to pass another and before you know it a day has gone.

After the howling gales earlier in the week it was with a spring in my step that I headed into town. A crisp clear morning and a very short working week ahead made the early rise easy to bear.   Morning passed quickly and lunch-time came.  As has become habit I was preparing to settle down to a sandwich at my desk but was drawn outside by the clarity of light - so  decided to go for a photo walk down by the Clydeside.  

The River Clyde levels didn't appear to be as high as they had been on the news bulletins reporting on the gales


St Andrews Cathedral


The old and the new


I have passed St Andrews Cathedral many times - this time I went inside



Reflections




Three hours later the city centre was in darkenss and was remarkably quiet for 5.00 o'clock in the evening - normally rush hour - but I guess many peole had extended their time off until Monday when things will be back to normal.

Few people on foot in John Street at the Italian Centre


Few cars on Cochrane Street


and Ingram Street


The Corinthian Building still dressed for Christmas


By Monday Easter eggs will be in the shops - or is it Valentine's Day cards first and the following week Easter eggs?

1 comment:

  1. some lovely photos of G - I have often looked in at that funny little reflective garden beside the church while sitting at the traffic lights, and thought it would be a nice place (in warmth!) to spend a lunch hour.. Cx

    ReplyDelete