Tuesday, 31 May 2011

The land of the Swiss

Icelandic volcano ash permitting, I will be winging my way to Switzerland in a few days for a holiday and I am so looking forward to being back.   It's been two years since I was last there and that is a long time not to see a particularly dear friend.   I was unable to make last year's trip, in large part, because of the chaos caused by the dust spewed out by the unpronounceable Eyjafjallajökull volcano eruption (more images here).  This year, tickets booked, airline strikes over and fingers crossed (let's hope the latest Grimsvotn volcanic eruption has done its worst) and I'll be on my way. 

Some pics taken during previous visits to get me in the mood.

from the Graubunden Region



And if luck takes a bad turn and the latest volcanic eruption interferes with my return travel plans, I can think of worse places to be stuck until the air clears. 

Bis später!  Aufiedersen!

5 comments:

  1. Hello:
    How very exciting! We are sure that you will have a wonderful time and what fun to be meeting up once more with an old friend. Switzerland is, indeed, a lovely country, as your pictures show, and you should in June have glorious weather.

    As far as we are able to ascertain, the volcano has done its worst - at least for the present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How envious I am of your impending jaunt! It looks amazing. I have only been to Switzerland once and I was only 4 or 5 years old so couldn't really appreciate it! I am looking forward to more pictures of the Alps. Zurich looks great too - I love cities with trams, it's a great way to get about Have a wonderful trip xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. wilkommen!!!! how fun that you will be here!!!!! i'd offer to meet up but we have friends coming on monday and will be off and traveling!!!
    and i've never had basel brot, i'll have to try it :) and yes...definitely butterzopf with jam and honey, we have it every sunday :):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just discovered your lovely blog! I'm glad that you like our beautiful country! Hugs from Switzerland!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If there is one place in Switzerland I like as much as Zurich, it's Graubuenden. isn't it stunning? The mountains, the valleys, the green, the way it's always sunny because of the phoen? And don't get me started on the Engadine region. Sooooooo pretty.

    Glad you enjoyed your time in Switzerland! Thank you so much for dropping by my blog :-)

    ReplyDelete