Wednesday, 4 May 2011

Fickle or Faithful - which are you?

A number of years ago  I discovered the Cath Kidston brand and I really liked it.  It was fresh, flowery, and, at that time - for me!  

I've purchased some of her distinctive boxes and fabrics and various bits and pieces online and, as with virtually all fabric I have bought over the years, I intended to make something with it.  Slight problem then (slight problem still) - I am useless with a  sewing machine!   Anyway, the fabric has been stored in one of my many, many  "drawers of good intentions"  - and there it is destined to stay for the foreseeable future.   Why?  Because Cath Kidston products appear to be everywhere I look these days!

And today another of her shops opened in Glasgow city centre!




Great for Cath Kidston but the joy I feel when I find something I really like dissipates when it becomes (in my opinion) too popular.   I'm afraid I show my fickle side, and don't like it so much - so I drop it!   Am  I unusual in this regard?

In my heart I think I still like some of her products - but I know I'll like them more - when they are less available!

Are you a fickle or faithful shopper?

9 comments:

  1. I think that you are correct in distancing yourself from the crowds. I used to like the Annalee dolls which were made for holidays and created and manufactured in the good old USA, New Hampshire, in the 1930's. Now the faces are no longer hand painted, and the entire doll is made in China! Who sold out? They do not look the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i used to be one of
    the main vintage suppliers
    to Cath Kidston for 7 years
    at the beginning of her story
    when she sold out
    retaining creative control
    everything was controlled by
    number crunchers
    and authentic vintage dropped
    the quality dropped too
    and everything today
    is mass produced
    you are not fickle
    you are savvy
    the heart and soul
    has been leached from lines
    ...

    ***

    (ps love the post office pic)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may be slightly fickle- I do like the shop stuff - what I don't like is the cheaper mass produced items you can buy in other stores - its like she's split into 2 brands. Actually most of the original stuff like the prints and the oilcloths still excite me! Must admit, we are in town tomorrow, and I'll be looking for it! Is that the old PO opposite STV? Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello:
    Individually, and seen alone, many of the Cath Kidston products are hugely appealing but, en masse, at least for us, they verge on the somewhat whimsy. Recently a shop opened in Brighton. She is clearly spreading her net wider and wider, rather as Laura Ashley once did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are correct in distancing yourself from the crowds. "Never follow the crowd." Bernard Baruch

    ReplyDelete
  6. I TOTALLY agree with you and am that way exactly. I had my heart sent on one of her iphone covers but then i visited london, saw the stores everywhere and decided not to get it:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never been a huge fan but I totally agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is definitely a topic that’s close to me so I’m happy that you wrote about it. I’m also happy that you did the subject some justice. Not only do you know a great deal about it, you know how to present in a way that people will want to read more. I’m so happy to know someone like you exists on the web.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your view is spot-on with my own, and I was interested to read Linda Dacey's comments. Years ago she was a main destination for me on visits to London, but now I rarely drop in. Your 'drawers of good intentions' line made me laugh - now that really resonates for me!

    ReplyDelete