Friday, 22 April 2011

Road to the Isles

A far croonin' is pullin' me away*
As take I wi' my cromak to the road.
The far Coolins are puttin' love on me
As step I wi' the sunlight for my load.

ChorusSure, by Tummel and Loch Rannoch
And Lochaber I will go.
By heather tracks wi' heaven in their wiles;
If it's thinkin' in your inner heart
Braggart's in my step,
You've never smelt the tangle o' the Isles.


These words I sang in a choir back in the day and the lyrics and melody were brought to mind when Suzanne and I set off on our second road trip to the (Western) Isles of Harris and Lewis in the Outer Hebrides, a couple of weekends ago. Of the hundreds of photographs that I took I have managed to pull out a few of the more passable ones but overall I was pretty disappointed with this trip's results.

We set off from Glasgow heading for Uig on the Isle of Skye to catch the ferry to Tarbet, on the Isle of Harris. As ever the scenery which accompanied us was spectacular but the light and my (lacking) photography skills don't necessary do the views justice - anyway, here goes:




















On arriving at Rannoch Moor I was surprised at how different it looked from our previous stop there and I certainly don't remember these guys










from the last time either but in certain weather conditions the presence of this colourful burger van, with its palm trees, would be a sight for sore eyes.

We travelled on towards Glencoe (the land where time stood still)



















and stopped for coffee at the Visitor Centre



















which has great views at the back - and look - is that Nessie?
























We travelled on towards Spean Bridge and then stopped at the Commando Momument



















overlooking this spectacular view



















More to follow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment