Sunday, 13 February 2011

Out and about in Edinburgh

The days are getting longer, the evenings lighter and I am beginning to bring my head above the crafting parapet. It has become a habit with me to pack away all my crafting materials after my last craft fair in December and I don't look at them again for at least 2-3 months. This time last year I had little inclination to do much in the way of making but having had a good year I am motivated to get things going once more. I have already booked a number of craft events and yesterday Suzanne and I went through to Edinburgh on a bit of reconnoitre; initially to check out a new craft fair venue there, launched this weekend, and also to spend some time in the upmarket area of Morningside - where we regularly attend a lovely, monthly craft market - but as stallholders we never get much time to explore the area.
















Ghillie Dhu Makers MarketThe venue for this market is simply stunning. The recently rennovated Ghillie Dhu (whose website says it is a "traditional Scottish pub" - but in my limited knowledge of Scottish pubs I'd say that was quite a bit of an overstatement!) It is owned by the Glasgow-based G1 group so you get the idea. The craft fair takes place in the opulent setting upstairs.

























Audrey of Prettyful was there with her beautiful glassware and jewellery. You are immediately drawn to her table of very colourful products.




















This is my favourite piece


























The venue is in a great location at the end of Princes Street near Lothian Road and the standard of crafters, as you would expect, was high and though not overcrowded with shoppers,it was after all the first event, I should imagine when word gets around trade will pick up. I am undecided whether or not it is a venue for me though.

We then jumped on a bus and headed for Morningside for some lunch and a bit of a meander. Morningside is just lovely especially on a clear, dry and sunny day. Obviously a wealthy area with lots of lovely little shops, cafes and lots and lots of charity shops where no doubt there's many a bargain to be found - just not by us!

We had lunch at Falko's in Bruntsfield Place

























which I would highly recommend. Terrific selection of German breads and amazing selection of cakes and pastries.

Next trip to Edinburgh will be to my first craft fair of the year Morningside Makers Market - on 05 March - and I am so looking forward to it. It will be great to get into the swing of things again.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing a great wee meander round Edinburgh. I'd love to come through and do these fairs but it's just not logistical for me at the moment. Was hoping Craft Fairs Scotland would have other events this year in St Andrews again but no news as yet. Hope the makers market in March is a great success! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Craft fairs, I used to do antique shows. All shows are a tremendous lot of work. Setting up is fun, but breaking down is so hard. Here's hoping that all of your craft fairs are profitable and filled with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see these shots of Edinburgh. Will definitely try out Falko's on my next trip there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    My name is Caroline Cameron and I met you on saturday at the Maker's Market, you were on the stall next to me. I just wanted to say thank you so much being so friendly and warm, you really made my day:) Hope to see you again soon
    x

    ReplyDelete