Saturday, 12 December 2009

Borders bows out!

Well that's it! My final craft fair of the year was last Friday and the remainder of the weekend was spent sorting out, throwing out and tidying away all my remaining products and crafing bits and pieces - now all boxed up ready and prepared to start all over again next year. I am glad to be able to have a break from attending craft fairs as I have worked so hard these past months. I started the year planning to attend as many craft fairs as possible with the intention of seeing which worked and which didn't. I will reflect on the year over the holidays and make some decisions about those that are in, out and never to be attempted again!

So today is the first in a long time that I have been able to take things easy. I did put myself under quite a bit of pressure so now I am enjoying doing things at my own pace - and catching up on some long lost sleep.

Only last week did I allow myself to start thinking about Christmas and shopping and I was devastated to discover that one of my most favourite shops in town is heading for the knackers yard! I can't believe it! Borders the bookstore in Buchanan Street has gone into administration! It's going, it's almost gone - it could be gone by Christmas and it won't be coming back! What a shame. Housed in a beautiful building it was a great place to while away a few hours, mulling over books (particulary the crafty ones) and magazines; making purchases; spending gift tokens; meeting up with friends; having coffee; passing time until the next train was due - and now it is almost no more. Now it looks like a bargain bookstore with the awful closing down signs inside and out.






Around the same time last year this happened:

VV Rouleaux also packed up and left Glasgow one year ago - another of my favourite shops in town that I frequented on a regular basis. It was a beautiful shop, expensive but full of amazing ribbons and trims. It had moved into the old, much loved, Nash's stationery shop in Miller Street around 5 or 6 years ago and had retained a lot of the old shop's character and interiors. Another great place to while away time and to make some lovely purchases.


Alas it too no longer has a presence in Glasgow. There's always the online shop but I never have purchased from it - some things you just need to touch, feel and ponder over.

Who's next?

1 comment: