Saturday, 9 May 2009

TLC - Tagging.. Linking.. Crafting

I have been tagged by Lynne (MyBaboo), linked by Caireen (thepatchworkdress) and Rebecca (POLKADoT Farm), and encouraged by Suzanne (FiELDy), who originally suggested I should start my own blog, and it is our enthusiasm for all things handmade that links us together.

Until relatively recently I was the least likely person to get involved with crafting (anyone who knows me knows this to be true!) - although I have always appreciated handmade things and admire the skills of those who produce them. I mentioned in my first blog that I have always enjoyed letter writing and nice stationery, and so it was, just over eight years ago, after purchasing a really nice hand made card from a little gallery in Glasgow no longer in business unfortunately, that I had the notion that maybe I could give card making a try (get me!).

After much trial and error, plus weeks and months spent researching, sourcing materials and deciding which ones were for me, I became good enough at card making to be asked by family for cards to send to their friends; then their friends asked for cards to send to their family and friends, and so it went on until I gathered enough confidence to start attending craft fairs. The first one I attended was a very small fair but I did very well (I couldn't believe it!). At the next one I did even better, and so attending craft fairs became the thing for me. But as anyone who crafts and has attended craft fairs knows, there are times when you can do so well that it is hard to believe and then there others when you wonder why you even bothered turning up! Unfortunately, there are people who sometimes confuse craft fairs with jumble sales and can be quite rude and there are others who... well, they just get it.

Around 18 months ago I was invited by Jaqui to become involved in the Wee Green Market.
The WGM is a monthly market held in the lovely wee village of Killearn, which regularly has some really nice craft stalls amongst other things.








I plan to do a blog about the WGM another time so will load some more photographs soon.





In the meantime I have been "tagged" (new terminology to the novice blogger that I am) by Lynne, who I met through the WGM, so I will endeavour to respond!
Below are her questions and my answers.
What are your current obsessions:
Card and gift making - and if I'm not careful, blogging.

What are you currently reading:
Dreams from my Father by Barack Obama.

Where do you plan to travel to next:
I plan to visit Switzerland in three weeks time; first to Luzern and then Zurich, plus hopefully some parts in between.

What's the best thing you ate or drank lately:
A large glass of freshley squeezed orange juice with loads of bits and a freshly baked scone - hot - with butter and strawberry jam - yum!

What is your dream career:
My dream would be to open a really nice wee tea room-cum gift shop, selling only homemade fare and carefully sourced handmade cards and gifts. The tea would be served fresh in its own teapot every time, made from water freshly boiled from a kettle (none of this squishing water with a metallic taste, that has been boiled too many times, from one of those urns that I detest!). It would be a lovely wee place that people would be prepared to travel to and recommend to others (oh and there would be someone in the background ensuring that my mortgage and all my bills are taken care of!)

What is your favourite film ever:

First one that comes to mind is "Bridges of Madison County".

Care to share some wisdom:

Try to be content with enough.

Where would you rather be right now:

Welcoming lots of visitors to Bella Bheag's runaway successful tearoom and gift shop - but in reality - in my kitchen making cards!

What is your desert island disc:

Not sure but maybe a compilation, which would have to include The Blue Nile, Ray LaMontagne, instrumentals and some dance music.

If you could be any animal other than a human, what would you be:
A bird I think, as they are able to take off and land where and when the mood takes them. The serenity of being able to glide across the sky with not a care in the world would be wonderful - but only on good days - when there are clear blue skies! Not keen on the cold and 'drookit' (Scottish word) look on 'dreich' (another Scottish word) days like those we have been having all week.

So now, if I have understood correctly, I have to replace one question with another. My question is:
If you could have a wee bolt hole somewhere away from home, where would it be and what would it look like? (That's two questions but just treat as one!)
My bolt hole would be on a little island with few inhabitants on the west coast of Scotland, not far from Oban, and within walking distance of water and stunning views. The property would be a traditional shepherd's cottage renovated to a habitable standard and be traditionally furnished - an open fire being an essential - bliss!

My question will probably remain unanswered as unfortunately, because as I am new to blogging I don't know many bloggers, therefore I am unable to tag anyone that I know well enough. Of those that I do know, Lynne
is one, and she has already tagged the three the others that I would have! Ah well!

5 comments:

  1. Can I book a table for two at your wee tea room please!! L xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dream career is to have a tearoom come craft shop too, with much attention to detail also!.... maybe one day!Rx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who knows what the future holds! Love the sound of your boltholex

    ReplyDelete
  4. No bookings required as you will all be guests of honour at the grand opening of Bella Bheag's Tearoom (at which time you will be able to check that your handmade products are suitably displayed in the gift shop - hope you will be able to keep up with the demand!)x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post Bella. I'm looking forward to reading about your Switzerland trip. I must get around to doing my Meme I have been tagged four times - very embarassing!
    Oh & I am so with you on the tea thing!
    CKx

    ReplyDelete