Monday, 20 April 2009

Spinning Yarns

This weekend the weather was once again very kind to us - sunshine and clear blue skies. On Sunday we went for a drive to the Trossachs












(Loch Venachar)

stopping briefly at Kipp Crafts in Callander.









She rears Shetland sheep locally and they provide the wool, which she then spins to either sell or knit with.






I had a chat with the lovely woman there who was quietly sitting in the corner of her little craft shop, hand spinning Shetland wool. I watched in fascination as she spun. She quite happily chatted about her work and allowed me to take her photograph (which I have cropped as I didn't ask for permission to put it on my blog).
Fancy giving it a try?

She also showed me the pattern of a Shetland shawl that she plans to knit from her handspun yarn.




This is the beginning of the edge of the shawl; for every five peaks of the edge, it takes her one hour to knit. I can't begin to imagine the time and effort that will go into knitting this eventual heirloom for someone!

On the way back to the car we passed this lovely little church




and this wee fella also posed to have his pic takentotally unphased that we were standing about 3 feet away!

This has been a particularly challenging post for me due to my lack of know-how. If I've edited it once....... but stopped short of giving up completely! Line spacing and layout are constantly giving me problems. However, I persevered with the post although the link I thought I had made didn't work either. Afraid my blog is still very much a work in






progress.

4 comments:

  1. How great to be able to make something out of yarn you have spun yourself - from sheep you have reared yourself!! I am in awe of the people that do this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I have never spotted that shop in Callendar before.. I love the old secondhand bookshop at the end of the high street. You are doing great on the old blogging front - well done, keep it up! XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello from turkey..
    your blogs Wonderfull...
    http://gurgenburanlar.blogcu.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Again lovely pix BB. My mum can spin - just - but doesn't yet knit anything so beautifully fine as thata shawl just stunning.
    CKx

    ReplyDelete