Tuesday, 7 April 2009

My first foray into Blogland

Hello! Encouraged by my crafting friends, today is the day I begin my foray into Blogland. After much discussion and a growing interest in you bloggers out there, I have been considering the idea of starting my own blog but until now have resisted the temptation. What could I write that would be of any interest to others? How could I compete with some of the ideals, ideas, expertise, amazing lives and talents of so many of you? When I started crafting some years ago I had the same insecurities; now I realise crafting, blogging..... there is no competition. We all do what we do and that is how it is. So here I am and here goes.....

For as long as I can remember I have been a letter writer and have appreciated well made stationery. I have friends and family in various parts of the world that I like nothing better to do than drop them the odd piece of unexpected correspondence. It might be news, mirth, words of encouragement or - just because - but it is something I enjoy very much and something I hope friends, particularly those now moved away from Scotland and living in far flung parts of the world, appreciate. I craved letters from home when I lived abroad many years ago. The anticipation I felt as the little yellow post van gradually appeared over the horizon, which I would eagerly track from my bedroom window at the same time each morning, willing it to stop at No 12, could be overwhelming! I would count each house-stop the post van made until it had reached ours. If it stopped, my feet would barely touch the ground as I ran down the drive to check the mail box for that hoped for familiar handwritten envelope or card; if the post van carried on past No 12, the disappointment could sometimes be pretty devastating! The surprise card or longed-for letters when received, were excitedly read, re-read and re-re-read. I cherished each one!

I carry those memories with me still and so it is that a card, postcard or letter I willingly write, and randomly send, via the good old postal service, as often as the mood takes me. The words may take one, two or five days to reach their destination, they might even take one, two or five days to write, but a surprise piece of handwritten correspondence can be just what is needed by the recipient at a particular time in their life; something to be appreciated or treasured; perhaps to be read over and over again. Of the responses I receive not all are handwritten - which is a bit of a shame (though still very gratefully received!). But when least expected, one or two and if I am very lucky, three, pieces of handwritten correspondence from different continents can arrive though my letterbox in quick succession and I relish each one. I've heard it said that handwritten communication is a dying art and as a tool for documenting social history it is becoming increasingly rare with the passage of time. Letters and cards are being replaced by the introduction of newer and faster technologies. Fewer people send postcards from their travels, instead, replacing them with text messages, telephone calls or emails (and no doubt many other technologies that I know nothing about!). Technology is wonderful and I can't imagine life without access to email, mobile telephones etc, but in my opinion you just can't beat the handwritten word - whether sent or received. For me, this blogging lark will hopefully be an additional way for me to communicate - and I think I might get to quite like it! However, as long as I can hold a pen in my hand I will continue with my handwriting and be grateful that I have eager recipients.

5 comments:

  1. Aha!! I found you! Great first post... look forward to more - keep on trucking! and for your info, your address is bellabheag.blogspot.com You will need it when you leave comments with others - the world is your oyster xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray!! Glad to see you have taken the leap - keep on blogging. have a lovely Easter. Lynne xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good evening to you all the way from New York. I am lucky to have found you via Caireen. Yes, like you, I love to write letters and over the years have been very particular about my stationery.

    Some decades that stationery might have been pure white and heavy paper, then something exotic from India, then something very traditional with a watermark, and then something beautiful from France, and then ...
    enter the computer and e-mail.

    I still do love to write and receive a letter, and to go to the Post Office and find that there are beautiful stamps for sale.

    Welcome to blogland!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One more quick comment for you. I did not see the celebration of Tartan Week this year, but have seen it in the past ... think that Sean Connery lead the pipers.

    Looking forward to visiting you again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I so agree and love to send and receive handwritten mail, messages of thanks or love or just what's going on.
    Nice to meet you, can't remember how I found you!!
    CKx

    ReplyDelete